[Home] [Book] [Expand] [Collapse] [Help]

Clear Search Expand Search

  --  AT BASSA--BISHOP TAYLOR.   Table of Contents    Illustration

Smith, Amanda
An autobiograpy

- Illustration

Home of the Late President Roberts, of Liberia .
still and seen God overrule things of man's device, and work His sovereign will. Amen.

So Bishop Taylor's home from that day has been at Brother Henry Cooper's house, when in Liberia. Sometimes he has had to stop there three weeks, before he could get away. And God has always helped Brother Cooper, and always will.

How well I remember that all day holiness meeting, when God so wonderfully sanctified Brother Cooper, and, a few days later, his dear wife. How well I remember the morning she came to Sister Payne's, singing her song of victory, for she had got the baptism in her own home. She came up to Sister Payne's, where my home was. I saw her when she was coming in. Her face was all a glow of light. Oh! I shall never forget it. The first thing she said as she came in, was:

"Glory to His name!
Glory to His name!
There to my heart was the blood applied;
Glory to His name!"

And she has been singing it ever since; in the midst of trials and storms, for she has had them, and so will everybody that goes into the fountain straight. God doesn't often develop on any other line than that of trial, and sometimes suffering, in various ways; "For the trial of your faith is more precious than gold, though it be tried with fire."

Saturday, January 24th. The Bishop and I were invited to take breakfast at the United States Legation, American Consul, Hon. John Smyth. Prof. Brown, who was a guest of Mr. Smyth's, was also present. We had a most elegant breakfast, served in real American style, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think the Bishop had no thought of any such reception in Africa. But Mr. Smyth, who is so thoroughly qualified for his position, is always quick to perform the courtesies due to strangers, and especially those from his own country, America.

The Bishop and I made a number of calls together in the different places. He never objected to going anywhere, among the poorest of the poor. He would go in and sit down, sing, pray and talk, and leave his blessing. He never seemed to give the impression to anyone that they need to stand off from him, or be afraid of him, because he was Bishop. He was always congenial and kind to everyone.


The Conference convened on the 29th. The Bishop preached every night, and on Sunday morning, and then addressed the Sabbath School in the afternoon, and at four o'clock preached at Krootown. The Lord wonderfully poured out His spirit, and there was a gracious revival. Sinners were converted, backsliders reclaimed, believers sanctified. Oh, what a tidal wave swept over us! So the Conference convened in the midst of the flood-tide of revival. Praise the Lord.

Sunday, February 1st, 1885. The great ordination. Ten Deacons and nine Elders ordained by Bishop Taylor. Glory to God. It was a wonderful day. Such had not been seen in Monrovia before.

Monday, February 2nd. I am very weak in body, but my faith is strong in God. I make some calls, and go to see William Potter, whom everybody is afraid of, for he is a very wicked man. But I never was treated with more respect by anybody than by him. I talked to him, and told him how wrong it was to treat himself and his wife and children as he did. He listened to me kindly, and thanked me. Poor, old William Potter. May God save him.

Wednesday, February 4th. I am asked to take the service to-night. The Lord helped me wonderfully. I spoke from the fourteenth chapter of John. Several professed to be saved. At six o'clock I invited the Bishop, with some of the leading young men of the place, to tea at Mrs. Payne's. There were but one or two of the young men Christians, and I wanted them to see the Bishop, as he was so fatherly, and I thought a nice, good talk from him would do them good; so in every way possible I tried to help. If Israel is not gathered, Jacob will not lose his reward.

Thursday, February 5th. I am invited, with the Bishop, to take breakfast at Mr. Gabriel Moore's. His Honor, the President of the Republic, Hillary Johnson, and Mrs. Day, a white missionary of Muhlenburg Mission, of the Lutheran Church, are present. Mr. Day is not able to be present. God bless Mr. and Mrs. Day. What a sanitarium their home at Muhlenburg Mission has been to those who have been weary and worn. How many pleasant days I have spent at their home. It was there I had one of my fiercest attacks of fever, and I thought sure I would die. How kind Mr. and Mrs. Day were. They did all they could, and they made me so comfortable. May God ever bless them, is my prayer. Amen.

Sunday, February 8th. The new pastor is installed. Thirty-seven

join the church this morning. Praise the Lord. I take the service at night. Speak from John, fifteenth chapter: "Abide in Christ." The Lord helps me, and gives us blessing.

Monday, February 9th. This has been a very busy day. I called to see Mrs. Van Harmon, a white lady, the wife of one of the merchants. She had been sick with fever. She had glad to see me, and I found her a little better. Then I called to see Mrs. Day, and go with her to church. She proposed having a picnic, a little outing, for the Bishop's benefit. She went around among the ladies, and it was arranged for.

Wednesday, February 11th. We all go to Mr. Johnson's farm; Bishop Taylor, Prof. Brown, Hon John Smyth, Mr. Moore, Mrs. C. A. Moore, Miss Payne and a number of others.

Friday, February 13th. Mrs. C. A. Moore and daughter, and Dr. Moore and myself go to Madeira, or Grand Canary. Mrs. Moore had not been well for some time, and her father-in-law thought that a trip would do her good. Her mother consented to her going, if I would go with her, as she was not accustomed to traveling much. They are very kind, and pay all my expenses, and I go. How much I need the change and rest.

Sunday, February 15th. Sierra Leone. We got in early on Saturday afternoon, and went ashore. This morning we went to the Cathedral and heard a grand sermon from the new Bishop, Ingham. We went again this evening. The sermon was on "Consecration and Holiness." But the people didn't seem to know what he was driving at. A beautiful congregation; a number of white persons are present, mostly government officials.

Monday, February 16th. We leave at ten this morning and go on the steamer again. And now we are off. Thank the Lord, I am feeling a little better.

Tuesday, February 17th. We are all a little seasick to-day. I'm the best of the party. Thanks be to God for His loving mercy, for it is wonderful.

Wednesday, February 18th. Praise God this morning for His goodness. Mrs. Moore and I purpose to read the Gospels through while on our voyage. May He help us for His name's sake.

Thursday, February 19th. Head winds. That means seasickness. How mean one feels. But, Oh! how grand the ocean. How majestic and God-like. As He holds and moves the mighty ocean, so may He hold and move me.


Friday, February 20th. Trials begin. But, Lord, Thou hast been my dwelling place in all ages, and such Thou art to-day, and my soul doth magnify Thee.

Sunday, February 22nd. The swell is not so strong to-day, so we are all feeling better. Thank God. We hope to reach Grand Canary by Tuesday.

Tuesday, February 24th. Praise the Lord! I am glad that we are at Grand Canary. It looks beautiful from the steamer. We will go ashore in about two hours. First night ashore. Everybody speaks French. We don't understand anything anyone says, and they do not understand what we say. We manage to get on by motion--almost perpetual motion--but we get through.

Wednesday, February 25th. Praise the Lord for His goodness so far. If we were where we could speak in our own tongue, wherein we were born, with all the kindness shown us, strangers among strange people, we would feel quite at home.

Thursday, February 26th. The redeemed of the Lord shall dwell in safety by Him. How very near He has seemed all day to-day. The lady of the house goes out with us. She understands a good deal of English, but can speak but little. She takes us to a store where a gentleman can talk English quite well; so that we get a little shopping done, and go through the motions of talking Spanish.

Saturday, February 28th. The Lord has helped us, and a little lad about ten years old, a very bright little fellow, formerly from Mexico, comes to us as interpreter. We are feeling glad and thankful to the Lord for His love.

Sunday, March 1st. There is no church service here, except Roman Catholic. So we have a quiet rest in the morning; in the afternoon we take a little walk, and come to a very' fine Catholic Church; we go in, and I spend a half hour with tears for the poor people. Oh, Lord! How long! How long! The ignorance of the people, and the arrogance of the priests, is something appalling.

Tuesday, March 10th. We have had some very pleasant walks and drives since we have been here. The scenery all about is beautiful. The balmy air and the beautiful flowers and fruits of all kinds are delightful. They tell us the month of September is the finest month to be here. We go out to-day and finish our little shopping. I have been deeply wounded to-day. I have made a mistake in purchasing what I need not have done. But I did it

  --  AT BASSA--BISHOP TAYLOR.   Table of Contents    Illustration