Brown, Hallie Q.
|MRS. LAURA A. BROWN -- 1874-1924|
Laura A. Brown was born in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, November 8, 1874. Her parents, Reverend and Mrs. Frank Penn were devoted christians who reared their daughter in a home of comfort and religious influence. At an early age she was united in marriage to Mr. George Brown of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, in which city she made her home.
To this union was born a daughter. Mrs. Brown was a devoted wife and mother. She was not only a home maker but her life, both eventful and beneficial, led her into wide fields of usefulness.
She possessed a sweet voice and soon became the recognized leader of church choir.
Her activities extended into public life, and she became an earnest, devoted member of the Pennsylvania Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, working to foster its high ideals and principles. In this work she demonstrated a strict adherence to integrity and was never known to sacrifice right for expediency. During the World War she was in charge of the war savings stamp campaign and raised thousands of dollars for the relief of soldiers, in camp, at home and in France.
During the Harding Campaign she was appointed a member of the Executive Board of the Republican Women's Committee of Allegheny County under the Chairmanship of Mrs. Leonard Wood which position she held during her life. In 1922 she announced her candidacy for the legislature from the First District, Allegheny County, being
As organizer of the Woman's Christion Temperance Union in Pennsylvania she seemed to have found her happiest work. She gained religious fervor by studious application to the study of the Bible and carried its message of truth and love into every company she addressed. She traveled through the state winning many adherents to the cause of temperance, attending conventions and addressing large congregations. At a district convention she was decorated with the meritorious gold ribbon.
Her work in the State Federation of Colored Women's clubs attracted national attention and she was appointed, by the late Mrs. Mary B. Talbert, acting president of the National Association of Colored Women, as director of the Douglass Home at Anacostia, D. C. Through her splendid efforts in this movement she was made a member of the advisory board of the Home which place she held till her death.
She was an active member of the Warren M.E. Church of Pittsburgh, affiliated with the Red Cross, the Army and Navy Union of America, of the Frances E.W. Harper League, Pennsylvania State Federation of Clubs, National Association of Colored Women Advisory Board of Douglass Memorial and Historical Association, Republican Council of Women, City-County Federation of Allegheny.
She passed away at the home of her parents at Gettysburgh very near the spot where the martyred Lincoln delivered his memorable address and where on November 8, 1874, she first saw the light of day, where she first found joy, where she first knew sorrow.
"The world will little know, or long remember what she said here, but it cannot forget what she did here." A Co-laborer has written:-
"Laura A. Brown, a leader among women has passed
So will we remember her, as one who answered the call to public service, through the agencies of church, club, Red Cross and W.C.T.U. endeavors, giving unsparingly and unreservedly of her time and energy to the work of race advancement.
May the realization that another leader has fallen, causing an irreparable loss, strengthen us in the resolve to stand firmly, shoulder to shoulder and accept the greater responsibility, which is ours."