Guide to the Research Collections
Dictionary Catalog of the Research Libraries, 1911-1971 (projected)
This will be a photographic reproduction of the approximately 11,000,000 entries under author, title, and subject in the main Public Catalog of the Research Libraries, which was established in 1911 with the opening of the Central Building at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street and located in Room 315. Incorporated into the catalog at that time were entries representing the holdings of two predecessor libraries, the Astor Library (founded in 1848) and the Lenox Library (established in 1870). Excluded from this catalog are entries for books in non-Roman alphabets (Cyrillic, Oriental, Hebrew); entries for some special collections (such as Arents Collections and the Berg Collection); and some nonbook-form materials (such as manuscripts, maps, phonorecords, prints, and the like). When issued, this will be the only dictionary catalog (authors, titles, subjects) of a major research collection ever published. It will contain, moreover, many references to periodical articles.